Sunday, August 4, 2019

Inspiration and Motivation For Blogging

For much of the 2018 I felt my life was going downhill somewhat, certainly nowhere near rock bottom, however I felt my social life was drying up somewhat simply due to other people's changes of circumstance. One thing I was lacking in was a way I could present myself to the world. I'm not looking to be famous, however I have always had that need to be known for something, to have my own business or content creation platform. Some identity and something people will admire. I needed to create something new.

I was at one of those catch-all singles nights in December 2018, simply because it was a Saturday evening and there were no other social opportunities available to me that night. It was a somewhat awkward night due to the crowds, limited seating, and lack of really knowing anyone or conversation topics to latch onto. However I one stage while everyone was partying, I simply sat down by a table, got my phone notepad out, and started writing some notes about how I was feeling in the social setting, ideas I could discuss in my talks on Aspergers, or incorporate into articles in a blog. In fact I thought that blogging would actually inspire me to do more things socially and step out of my comfort zone, because whatever happens I could always blog about it, so I felt good!

There's a sense of comfort in looking like the serious guy at a party - it makes me look at feel more important as if I have some job to do. One person later that night commented to me that "you're a bit of an observer," hence being rather quiet. Well the reason why I am quiet is quite simple - I wouldn't know how to act loud and boisterous in that situation when you mentally cannot follow the flow of all the jokes and banter that goes on, and there isn't any other way I can act authentically in that situation.

I can also recall three completely separate incidents in the past couple of months where I have felt shaken, shocked, confused and troubled by a particular interaction with someone (two of them happened on the same day incidentally). All in totally different environments. When these sort of things happen, I become totally preoccupied and will literally be talking to myself for hours on end, at least until I get to talk to someone else who understand the situation. The positive side is that all this questioning and analysis gives me more things I want to write about and I reckon its these recent incidences that have helped kick me into blogging action.

My Plans for This Blog

Like most things, probably the hardest thing about blogging is getting started - actually going onto blogspot and setting something up. As you can see it often takes me months of thinking and procrastination before taking the first steps. My intention at this stage is not to post everyday as that doesn't feel realistic, but to try and post at least once a week, and more regularly when I get the time and inspiration to do so, and be consistent over the long-term.

I have many things to share in the pipeline and there's always more coming along. On my desktop I have a Notepad document, called 'blog posts and traffic' where I note any ideas that come to mind for things to share, plus ideas for generating web traffic to this blog in due course. When I think of an idea I always note it on the list so I don't forget.

However I suspect many of my posts, such as the one you're reading now, won't be planned. I'm also starting to find that when I start writing, I realise I will have to split my post into two or three posts so they don't become too long, which is a good thing.

I also hope in due course to expand upon this blog, start creating some vidoes and perhaps some podcasting, and collaborate with other like-minded people. I don't know exactly what but I do have ideas. I can't promise anything but I very much hope I can put all my generic ideas into action over time. I have witnessed an increasing number of content creators within the autism scene, and I do feel I have many unique insights to share to be apart of this.

Obviously, time will tell.

Want some context to this blog - click here to find out about me


2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, reading this as one without Aspergers, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete